Sunday 5 February 2017

40 memorable songs part two, 1991-1997: By the fountain down the road

Welcome to part two of a three-part blog listing 40 memorable songs to mark my 40th birthday in November 2016. This part covers my teenage years and the world of university.

So, into the 90s and a real topsy-turvy decade, both for myself and for music. I made some great friends but there were occasions where I didn’t fit in; school was a nightmare at times and even with football as a means of escapism – one season I banged in 27 goals for Bective Wanderers – I still felt a bit of an outsider, especially when I was picked for the Northampton league’s representative squad. I was treated with suspicion by cliquey players and borderline bullied. University was a much-needed intervention, even if some of it was a waste of time.

As for music, there was a hell of a lot of great stuff around but gradually the record industry started to take it too seriously: firstly by announcing that pop music was dead and we now had to categorise everything – rock, hip hop, Europop, Britpop, trip hop, progressive house, paraplegic trance, etc, as well as girl power – and secondly, later in the decade, manipulating the charts by selling new releases at low prices and raising them the following week. As such, every artist’s release date was a calculated process and almost every number one was a new entry, many staying at the top for only one week. Basically the industry sucked the fun out of the charts and totally devalued the chart-topper.

14 KLF – 3am Eternal (1991) 



With this following Manchild and Street Tuff at numbers 12 and 13, I’ve just noticed there’s a rap theme developing, which is odd as I don’t think I’ve ever actively explored hip hop and have had no desire to. Not that this is an out-and-out rap record anyway; it was the lush melodies and synth bleeps that ultimately drew me in. The ‘Ancients of Mu Mu’ were geniuses. They created songs with bonkers lyrics worthy of a novelty act but crafted with the sort of killer hooks associated with the best artists around.

This record coincided with the start of the Gulf War when naughty Saddam invaded Kuwait. Because it jeopardised the oil industry in the West, the UK and US decided to join in (er, allegedly). If you think political correctness is a relatively new phenomenon, you’re wrong. Back during that period, music was censored and 3am eternal’s intro – a round of gunfire – had to be removed from the radio edit.

15 Massive (Attack) – Unfinished sympathy (1991)

Poor Massive Attack. The Bristolians also fell victim to music censorship and were forced to remove ‘Attack’ from their name during the war period. This is an amazing record with its lush strings and addictive drum patterns. Another favourite lyric of mine too: “The curiousness of your potential kiss has got my mind and body aching.”

In a term of Drama at school we constructed a play in which two gangs tried to negotiate a deal after a series of violent attacks. “It’s a snapshot of the Gulf War, isn’t it?” I casually mentioned. “I think you realised that a while ago, Kristian,” was the response. I was flattered.

16 Billy Bragg – Sexuality (1991)



“Just because you’re gay, I won’t turn you away.” Er, good. In all seriousness, I’ve always wondered what homosexuals thought of this song at the time; even back then I was sniggering at the simplicity and almost patronising naivety of it all. And for every great line, such as “safe sex doesn’t mean no sex it just means use your imagination”, you get, “I look like Robert de Niro, I drive a Mitsubishi Zero”. Was he watching Whose Line Is It Anyway at the time? Musically, though, it’s an amazing record with Kirsty MacColl on backing vocals, ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr strumming, and Phill Jupitus directing a laugh-a-minute video.

17 Electronic – Idiot country (1991)

The opening track on my favourite ever album. I could pretend to be smug and mention the link to Sexuality because Johnny Marr is the one of the duo in Electronic; the other being Bernard Sumner from New Order. But I’ll admit it: I stumbled across the link at the last minute as I didn’t realise Marr was involved on Sexuality. I should have done as I remember at the time thinking that the jangly guitar on Idiot country sounded identical to the one providing the intro on the former. With Sumner yelling the rock-driven verses then singing the chorus over waves of synth strings, it’s the perfect template of the album. Two guys in a studio layering synths and guitars, playing around with basslines and melodies, dragging them out but never for too long because they continually changed direction. 

My best mate and I played the album to death and had a juvenile tradition of looping the line “And if I drove a faster car, I’d drive it bloody well” on track four, The patience of a saint, sung rather oddly by occasional collaborator, Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys. I still listen to the album now and then during painful commutes via Southern Rail. I don’t think I’ve ever heard an album with a more triumphant intro and outro than this one.

As you’ll have noticed, 1991 was quite a fruitful year musically for me although it will also be remembered for a 16-week stint at number one for Bryan Adams. I mention it because it was quite surreal; it covered the summer holiday period at school. When you leave one school year behind you expect to return to the next with an all-new chart to discuss. Instead we returned bemused by the fact that Adams was still at the top and Right Said Fred were still at number 2 for an eighth week with I’m too sexy.

18 Haddaway – What is love? (1993)



Europop began to dominate the charts but curiously we in the UK were always the last to hear it – unless you had MTV. Back then MTV was solely a European feed for UK viewers and it was fantastic; VJs with phat Euro accents playing the latest hits, several of which would not be getting a UK release for a few months. All that she wants by Ace of Base was one big example, and this was another. A Finnish visitor said, “I’m sick of this bloody song”. It had only just charted here. Top tune and the album wasn't bad either.

19 Lightning Seeds – Lucky you (1994)

Very underrated act who probably suffered from being too poppy in a world that was about to become invaded by wanky chinstrokers. True, there was Three lions, and the fantastic The life of Riley has made a comeback on Match of the Day’s Goal of the Month, but Ian Broudie’s music as a whole has deserved more attention. The album Jollification was packed with potential hit singles, so much so that a stomper with Alison Moyet, My best day, and bouncy singalong Feeling lazy, which would have gone top 5 for Madness had it been released in the 80s, weren’t released. Shockingly, Lucky you only made number 43 initially but was re-released a year later after the album gained some momentum. It then charted at a more respectable 15.

20 Dubstar – Stars (1995)


I remember dozing in bed as all good teenagers do when they should be revising for A-Levels. Then on the radio came a breakbeat intro into a sea of mournful synth strings. I was now wide awake because I instantly knew I was listening to something special. A bit like Unfinished sympathy but without the grooves. Then came Sarah Blackwood’s vocals; the sort – a bit like Tracy Thorn from Everything But The Girl – that divide people. Are they dull and monotonous, or darkly romantic and moving? You can probably guess which side I’m on.

Amazingly the follow-up single, Not so manic now, was also outstanding and both would be in my top 10 singles of the 1990s if I was pinned down and forced to come up with something definitive. Which I probably wouldn’t. Stars, like Lucky you above, had two bites of the cherry, scraping the top 40 in 1994 first time around and then, after Not so manic now was strategically released in the first week of 1995 to make number 17, charted at 15 following the album Disgraceful’s release.

The great thing about writing blogs like this is it provides the perfect excuse to reunite with records such as these. I listened to Disgraceful on a commute home recently and it still sounds fantastic.

21 Saint Etienne – He’s on the phone (1995)

Some lazy journalists compared Dubstar with Saint Etienne simply because they had a female singer (and called Sarah too, in this case Cracknell) and a largely electronic sound and male songwriters. But they were hugely different. Saint Etienne were mostly considered a bubblegum pop act and if this single was bubblegum it would be the Everlasting Gobstopper. It’s one of the finest singles I’ve ever bought because not only does it contain this track, the three b-sides are magnificent chilled-out ballads. So when I went out clubbing in the first year of uni I used to listen to He’s on the phone beforehand and then the other three as I wound down afterwards. Unless I’d pulled of course. Which wasn’t often. The single is perhaps a snapshot of their little-known diversity and Smash the system, a double CD collection of singles, album tracks and b-sides is up there with the best compilations I’ve heard. Hugely underrated.

22 Pulp – Disco 2000 (1995)


So yes I was now at uni, Nottingham Trent, and immersed in the world of Britpop. As a genre it was OK, nothing more, and although there were a lot of great songs out there  The trucks don't work  by The Verve, for example, I found it disturbing to see how many people were banging on about the genre and how it was ‘real music’, etc. The continual masturbation over Oasis was even worse. What’s the story… was a good album but there was a period when it was almost as though music history had been deleted and the only two records left were Wonderwall and Don’t look back in anger.

Pulp, however, were a band from that era that did interest me. Different Class was an amazing album full of quirky songs that had a Britpop sound but with extra personality. Jarvis Cocker fascinated me; there were times when I thought he was simply a satirical character but others when he was a genius, taking a step back and thinking, this is all a load of bollocks, isn’t it? Famously, of course, he invaded the stage at the Brit Awards when Michael Jackson pretended to be Jesus during a performance of Earth song and more or less farted in his face.

Disco 2000 hit the spot because it worked on so many levels. It was a rousing pop anthem but one full of sadness, yet the narrative's wit kept the song upbeat enough for the chorus and its hope for reunion to feel special. Not many artists are capable of achieving that balance in such a moving manner. And of course, the older you get, the more poignant the lyrics become.

23 Crescendo – Are you out there? (1995)

From the sublime to the spooky. Just before we broke for Christmas I heard this, a weird dance record – thumping beats, strings and a choir – played in the early hours on Radio 1. I really liked it so I bought it but I had no idea what was in store. The single version was good, the extended mix amazing and there was a third version lasting 20 minutes that was mind-blowing; I realised the single version had basically chopped about three-quarters of a masterpiece. There was an intro so tentative it sounded like the volume was at the wrong level, a vocal, a gradual build-up from a choir to the main melody, and after 10 minutes it exploded into a battle between the dancefloor and the orchestra pit.
I think this is the only record Crescendo ever released. Just a shame it wasn’t released at Easter; then I could make a joke about putting all their eggs into one basket. Snigger.

24 Faithless – Insomnia (1996)


The other week I was making my way to work when some geezer drove past me at breakneck speed with this blaring out of his car stereo. Forget cutting-edge house, he was listening to this, one of the most iconic dance records ever made. Over 20 years on and Insomnia still sounds as fresh as ever. Even wanky ‘real music’ Britpop fans would hit the dancefloor when this came on at the Black Orchid in Nottingham all those years ago.

25 Bon Jovi – Living on a prayer

The Black Orchid (as it was named back in 1995-96) was one of many bars that had student nights during the first year. When it filled up to near maximum levels, the DJ would play a string of pop classics with massive singalong choruses. It was nearly the same order every week – Tainted love, Karma chameleon, Take on me, I wanna be (500 miles), etc – but it was good fun. And it would carry on; there’d be Summer of 69, Sweet child of mine, and then this.

My best mate from school was at the same uni but on a different campus and he introduced me to one of his flatmates, a sweet Lancashire lass whose first words were: “D’ya like Bon Jorvi?” I’d found my best mate from uni. I wasn’t going to include this originally but on New Year’s Eve I was abroad watching a live band and they started playing Living on a prayer. My plan was to dance like a twat to the song and send her the video to say an early happy new year as we were two hours ahead but it didn’t work. Probably a good thing.

26 Divine Comedy – Something for the weekend (1996)

 

A bit like Jarvis Cocker, frontman Neil Hannon had – and still has – the quirky personality and raised eyebrow that made Divine Comedy stand out from the regular Britpop trend. The band are best known for the cheeky National Express but their output has been consistently great over the years. Many will recognise Hannon’s voice from Father Ted’s unused Eurovision version of My lovely horse, and he also wrote the theme tunes for that show and the IT Crowd.

Something for the weekend was a very clever record; not a love song, more a humorous twist on the art of seduction using a tale of a mysterious woodshed central to a cunning scam. 

Part three, 2000-2016: 'Don't let the walls cave in on you' 

Part one, 1976-1990: '4am in the morning'

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoyed this list of songs/tunes; not all of them are 'my kind of music' but very familiar and bring back memories of that, to me, a very challenging decade.

    ReplyDelete